Carterton District Council

Local Government Elections 2016
Candidate Profile Books are available to view here.

Nominations 2016

Candidates for Carterton District Council please view here

Candidates for Wairarapa District Health Board please view here


2016 Donation & Expense Returns
Some expense returns are still to be returned
Carterton District Council Mayoralty view here
Carterton District Council Councillor view here
Wairarapa District Health Board view here


Local Elections 2016

The 2016 local elections will be held on Saturday 8th October. Local elections within the Carterton District include elections for the Carterton District Council, Wairarapa DHB, Wellington Regional Council and Masterton Licensing Trust.
Local body elections are held throughout the country every three years. The elections are held under the provisions of the Local Electoral Act 2001, the Local Electoral Regulations 2001 and the Local Government Act 2002. The last local body election was held in 2013. Results from the last election can be found here.

Key Dates for Local Elections 2016

15 July 2016 - Nominations open for candidates
12 August 2016 - Nominations close for candidates (closes at 12 noon)
16-21 September 2016 - Voting papers delivered to registered voters
8 October 2016 - Voting day (closes at 12 noon)

Pre-Election Report 2016

The purpose of a pre-election report is to provide information on the Council’s performance and promote public discussion about the issues facing the Carterton District Council.

The pre-election report will be available in July 2016.

How to have your say in the 2016 Local Elections

To vote in a local body election, you need to be enrolled on either the residential or ratepayer electoral roll.

You are eligible to enrol on the residential roll if you:
- are 18 years of age or older, and
- are a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident, and
- have lived in New Zealand continuously, at any time, for one year or more, and
- have lived at your current address for more than one month.

You are eligible to enrol on the ratepayer roll if you:
- are a registered parliamentary elector, and
- are a non-resident ratepayer who has applied for enrolment on the ratepayer roll
or, if you:
- are resident outside of Carterton district and have been nominated by a firm, company, corporation or society paying rates on a property in the Carterton district.

Residential Electoral Roll
All parliamentary electors are automatically enrolled on the local body residential electoral roll at the address where they live. You do not have to be a ratepayer to qualify for enrolment on the residential electoral roll.
You can change your address details on the residential electoral roll by:
- completing the appropriate form at any post shop
- telephoning 0800 ENROLNOW (0800 367 656)
- going to the Elections New Zealand website www.elections.org.nz

Ratepayer Roll
Do you live and vote in one council district, but also pay rates on a property in another district?  Then you may qualify to vote more than once at the local authority elections on 8 October 2016.  If you think you may be eligible to enrol as a non-resident ratepayer elector in that other district or to nominate a person for the ratepayer electoral roll, you can down load an Enrolment Form for Ratepayer Electors from here.

Qualifying as a Candidate for Council

District/Regional Council
To qualify as a candidate for election to a district or regional council, you must be:
- enrolled as a parliamentary elector anywhere in New Zealand
- a New Zealand citizen
- You do not have to live in the area or ward that you stand for, but you must be nominated by people who do live there. See information regarding nominations.

You cannot stand for election to both the Carterton District Council (as Mayor or Councillor) and the Greater Wellington Regional Council.

You cannot have concerns or interests in contracts over $25,000 with the local authority. However, this may be waived if, before standing, you get approval from the Office of the Auditor-General.

If you are employed by a local authority and are elected as mayor or councillor of that local authority, you must resign as an employee before taking up the position as an elected member. The rules of an individual local authority may mean that an employee has to take leave of absence for campaigning purposes before the election.

If you're employed by the police as a constable, authorised officer or supervisor, you must take leave of absence if you want to stand for election to a local authority. If elected, you would have to resign from the police.

Qualifying as a Candidate for Other Local Elections

If you are standing for a district health board or local Trust, you can also stand for mayor, the district council, or the regional council but you will be subject to the restrictions outlined above.

District Health Board (DHB)
To qualify as a candidate for election to a district health board, you must be:
- enrolled as a parliamentary elector anywhere in New Zealand
- a New Zealand citizen
- not disqualified by either clause 17, Schedule 2 of the New Zealand Public Health and Disability Act 2000
or section 30(2)(a) to (f) Crown Entities Act 2004.

You can only stand for one district health board.

For ALL local elections, candidates must be nominated by two people and both of these people must sign the nomination form. A candidate cannot nominate themselves.

The nominators must live in the area or ward that they are nominating the candidate to stand for.

Please note, we cannot accept nomination forms if any detail is missing, or the nominator lives outside of the area. Please refer to the information below and contact the Council if you are unsure about anything.

For Council
To nominate candidates for a district or regional council you must be enrolled as a residential or ratepayer elector.
• Residential electors are eligible to enrol to vote, regardless of whether they own property or pay rates, because they live in the District.
• Ratepayer electors are eligible to enrol to vote because they pay rates in the District despite living permanently somewhere else. For example a person who lives in Wellington but owns a beach or rental property in the Carterton District would be eligible to enrol as a Ratepayer Elector.
If the person you are nominating has concerns or interests in contracts over $25,000 with the Council, they must seek prior approval from the Office of Controller and Auditor General before their nomination is submitted.

For District Health Board Members
To nominate a district health board candidate, you must be a residential elector in the in the district health board's area.

Return of Electoral Donations and Expenses 2013
After an election, candidates are required to file a return of candidate donations and expenses with the Electoral Commission. See the list below of candidates who completed a return of candidate donations and expenses:

Mark, Ron

Ashby, Mike
Booth, John
Brazendale, Elaine
Carter, Ruth
Chalmers, Jenny
Evans, Bridget
Greathead, Jill
Harris, Rob
Knowles, William (Bill)
Lang Greg
Palmers, Mike
Poulsen, Brian
Venning, Juliana

Wairarapa DHB
Ammunson, Paora
Butcher, Stephen
Carter, Ruth
Falkner, Liz
Irwin, Rob
Kjestrup, Helen
Lamont, Michael Kelvin
Long, Rick
Morahan, Andrew
Napier, Viv
Samuel, Fiona
Shirley, Alan
Vollebregt, Janine L